![]() |
| I Madonnari 2009 |
Friday, May 29, 2009
I Madonnari Festival
For the past 3 years we've been going to the I Madonnari Festival at the Santa Barbara Mission on Memorial Day. I really enjoy this tradition and I hope we can continue going every year. What is the I Madonnari Festival, you ask? It's an Italian sidewalk painting festival that started sometime in the 16th century. Using chalk and pastels, artists (madonnari) would paint images of the Virgin Mary during religious and folk festivals. Nowadays, artists who have "purchased" a section of sidewalk or parking lot can draw whatever they want, within in reason, of course. Proceeds benefit The Children's Creative Project. The Santa Barbara Mission has hosted this event for 23 years. I hope you enjoy the pictures.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





Those were beautiful drawings! Looks like it was so much fun :) Thanks for sharing. I actually went on an incredible weekend retreat at the Santa Barbara mission with a bunch of ladies from Los Osos & surrounding areas and we stayed at the mission and celebrated our spirituality and being women. We read "The Red Tent" by Anita Diamant, had a saging ceremony, prayed together, healed each other, cried, laughed, shared and the spiritual energy was lifechanging. The mission is such an incredible, peaceful place. I was pregnant with the girls at the time and the ladies laid hands on my belly and prayed over the girls. I know that helped bring them into this world safely :)
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing, Annemarie!
I would love to go on a retreat there. It is a beautiful place. I'm going to have to read the Red Tent, it sounds like an interesting book. It sounds like you had a beautiful experience! Thank you so much for commenting and sharing. It sounds like something I would really enjoy!
ReplyDeleteHow neat! I've never heard of this before. Oh, and the Red Tent is a great book.
ReplyDelete