It was a beautiful foggy drive up to Los Olivos and then to Mount Figueroa. By the time we got to our destination it was a beautiful sunny morning. Coming down the mountain was my friend's cousin whose houses we were going to see. Her daughter had just informed her that someone killed a Momma pig and her baby. I almost cried when I saw the Momma and her baby in the turnout in which we were parked. Someone had hit the Momma and shot the baby. They loaded up the pigs while we drove on to their sanctuary. Waste not, want not.
We arrived and were met by some hippie types. I instantly felt very comfortable. It was a beautiful site and felt like a commune. Organic gardens, chickens, a couple horses, and a mule. The houses are made of cob and that's the reason why I was so intrigued. My husband and I did a workshop a couple of years ago on straw bale houses. It's kind of our dream to build a natural, organic house, so I wanted to see what cob houses looked like. They're as beautiful and natural as straw bale houses. Cob is like adobe, mud and straw, that's it! They live off the grid and have internet, even. They do workshops to make their living and have people live there and help out. I know that I've used beautiful quite a lot in this post, but that's how it was. We spent a few hours there and then left. On the drive back down the mountain, Dawn saw a calf being born. I'm so unobservant sometimes. Luckily, she turned around so I could get pictures. I'm glad we got to experience life after death...it was beautiful. :O)
![]() |
| Spirit Pines |





What a neat trip! We have looked into cob and strawbale and other alternative home-building methods. Too bad those aren't the norms!
ReplyDeleteI know, they're so much nicer than traditional homes, too. There are so many things you can do with these homes. They're so unique. Plus, the bonus is they can actually, almost be free. Craigslist offers so many things for free, windows, doors, sinks, etc. Really, all one has to pay for is the electrical work and the plumbing...oh, and the property. :O)
ReplyDeleteAdobe houses always look so beautiful to me - so fluid. One day I'd really like to be in a position to do this, but I guess I'm a little way off yet.
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing those pictures. Have you heard of the Spanish artist Antonio Gaudi? Cob reminds me of his work--so fluid and living. I dream of cob....
ReplyDeleteDottyspots, I wish you luck. I hope you can make one someday. I would love to, as well. Thanks for commenting!
ReplyDeleteJenell, I just googled him. What great work he did! I'm looking forward into delving deeper into his work. Thanks for commenting!